English - Spanish
Online Medical Interpreter Training Program
Approved for Nurses Continuing Education. “Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider # CEP 15854."
Culture Advantage Center for
PATIENT-CENTERED, PROVIDER-MANAGED, INTERPRETER-FACILITATED HUMAN COMMUNICATION ©
We prepare interpreters to function as members of the healthcare team. Because we know healthcare.
And we know interpreting. Meet the members of the Culture Advantage Team.
We are proud to announce our Online 50-Hour English-Spanish Professional Medical Interpreter Certificate Program.
For bilingual individuals with advanced language skills. Learn medical terminology in both languages. Complete the program from your own home, or anywhere you have a computer.
You may log in at any time that is convenient for you. No travel required.
TAUGHT BY HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS AND PROFESSIONAL INTERPRETERS
I enjoyed watching the videos which helped me alot with my interpreting.
I enjoyed calling in the assignments the least. Overall I loved the course, I know I did alot of reading but that is the way I learn, that is why it has taken me longer to finish the course.
It is a great course that helped me personally better my skills and to better serve the patients and providers. Ana, Graduate, English-Spanish Program
Link to the Application Page:
Online Medical Interpreter Program Application
"Being able to take a good quality course from home is fantastic". - Vally from Alabama, first graduate of the English-Spanish Medical Terminology Course.
What you will learn: Download our Online Professional Curriculum
What you will receive:
- Convenient delivery of all lessons online at the eLearning Portal and by email.
- 30 Hours of Intensive Online Medical Terminology training in both languages.
- 20 Hours of Medical Interpreting Principles (Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics, Roles of the Interpreter)
- 24-7 Access to our Online Spanish Language Pack, a compiled library of audio and written medical information that are actual materials used by medical providers for instruction and health information.
- Extensive Online English-Spanish Medical Glossary.
- Three hours of mentoring by healthcare professionals.
- One and one half hours of live, oral evaluation and coaching of your medical terminology knowledge, consecutive interpreting skills, and application of the Standards and Code of Ethics.
- One hour of live practice session and coaching to prepare for the Final Exam.
- Convenient 24-hour access to lessons, assignments and exams.
- Certificate of Completion of the Professional Medical Interpreter program with English-Spanish Concentration
- Continued access to the course for review for the National Certification after graduation (with receipt submission).
- Two free continuing education courses after graduation.
- Discounts to advanced courses and continuing education offerings, and educational products and services after graduation.
- Flexible 3-month program. Finish early, or extend monthly after 3 months.
- Self-paced (based on performance). Complete assignments and quizzes at your own pace. Submit assignments every 5-7 days for the Regular Program or 3-5 days for the Expedited Program.
- Convenient 24/7 online access.
- Low cost, flexible payment plans.
- No travel, study from home.
- Discounts to Advanced and Continuing Education Courses after graduation.
Instructors and Mentors
Taught by Healthcare Professionals and Professional Interpreters and CMIs
Intensive Medical Section Part 1: Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Diagnostic Procedures, Medical Specialties in English and Spanish. Assignments are submitted in English and Spanish. Final Evaluation in English and Spanish.
Interpreting Section Part 2: Principles of Medical Interpreting, Consecutive Interpreting, Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics, Roles of the Interpreter.
Marlene V. Obermeyer, MA, RN, Instructor
Kelly Martinkus, BS, Senior Medical and Language Mentor
Lury Fernandez, RN, Medical and Language Mentor
Idil H., PT, Medical and Language Mentor
Rafael Don Q. Montalvo, MD - Cuba, Medical and Language Mentor
Ofelia Chacon, MD, PhD.
Interpreting Instructors/Mentors: Professional Medical Interpreters and CMIs
Lisa Mannella., Professional Medical Interpreter, Passed NBCMI Written Exam, Oral Exam Pending
Rosa Bassett., CMI
Yvette Nevares., CMI
Kelsey Henriquez, CHI
Link to Current Fees.
Enrollment is flexible and you may start at any time depending on availability of medical mentor for your language-pair.
Course Fees cover access to the lessons for 3 months, however, progressing through the course is based on performance. Course extensions after 3 months may be requested for a small fee.
1. Education: Bachelor's degree in any field. Or combination of education and documented experience as a professional interpreter for at least 2 years.
2. Language skills: College-level language proficiency in English and Spanish (oral and written)
3. Basic Internet skills
4. Internet access and computer microphone for recording audios.
5. Telephone access
Course Requirements to receive a certificate of completion:
1. At least 90% average grade on all quizzes and exams. 90% passing grade for the Final Exam.
2. Completion and passing grade in all oral and written assignments as required.
3. Pass the oral skills exam or proctored exam.
4. Pass the English Medical Terminology Pronunciation evaluation.
Course Fees Link
Part 1: English-Spanish Medical Terminology (30 Hours)
Part 2: Medical Interpreting Principles (20 Hours)
These are average completion times. Course progress depends on satisfactory performance on every assignment and every test, for every lesson starting on Lesson 1.
Completion time varies depending on your baseline knowledge and language skill levels, Internet connection, Internet skills, time availability. We strive to provide personal service therefore enrollment is limited.
Thank you! Please contact me with any questions. Please fill out the application form so we can send you more information.
Link to the Application Page:
Application: Medical Interpreter Program
Please contact me directly for details. Thank you.